Thursday, February 15, 2007

WSJ article on tagging

In the Weekend Edition of the Wall Street Journal on February 10-11, there was an interesting article "The Wizards of Buzz" by Jamin Warren and John Jurgensen. This article focused on the influence of people who tag heavily and well at sites such as digg, reddit, Newsvine, and, my favorite, del.icio.us. Anyone who takes the BIT introductory class at Ross knows that I think that del.icio.us is a great way to keep your bookmarks, organize your bookmarks, and locate and discover new information. This article highlights the influence that prolific taggers can have on other companies and people.

I was interviewed for this article and thought I was going to be mentioned in it, but it was not to be. Oh well. At least they wrote the article and helped make the point I make in the class that these sites (or sites like them) will be important parts of our Internet future.

1 comment:

betasheep said...

Sir-- I had found the tag "bit200f07" amongst tags in del.icio.us. I had no idea what it was or what it meant. I know that various in-groups on del.icio.us have their own unique tagging system and that 200f07 is a hex number, but I couldn't find it defined anywhere by google, urbandictionary, etc, etc. Finally, I came across the tag "bit200f06" and found an explanation of it on swik.net. Same fun and games; different semester, I guess. I emjoyed the hunt.