Sunday, February 18, 2007

A new class on web-based information resources

I spent much of the end of January and beginning of February designing a new class that I am going to teach in Fall 2007. This course is BIT330, Web-based information resources. All of what I currently know about this course is available on this Web site. On this set of pages I list the assignments, schedule, books and other information about this course. I will continue updating these pages over the next several months, but they are quite close to the form they will have next September.

I think this course would be useful for nearly any undergrad (and, actually, any master student, PhD student, or professor) who is going to use the Web over the next several years to look for information or keep up with current events. Here's the beginning description on the course Web page:

Do you want to learn about how to use Google and Yahoo to a more in-depth level than the average student? Do you want to know where and how to find interesting blogs, images, and podcasts? How about RSS feeds and email alerts? Do you want to know how to use software to monitor Web pages without programming? Finally, do you want to learn how to stay current on developments in all of these areas after you leave UM? (After all, technology is going to continue to change after you leave school.)

Any rising junior or senior at Ross is eligible for this course and would benefit from taking it. Let me know if you have any questions by posting a comment here or, if you would rather not, by emailing me.

No comments: