Friday, October 08, 2004

Tours of Residence Halls

I have already gotten volunteers to show me around around a few residence halls:

MoJo
10am
West Quad
12noon, 4:15pm
South Quad
1pm
Stockwell
2:15pm

I explained the reason for these tours in the following email that I sent out to all BBAs:


This is definitely not your average email from a professor.

I have a request of someone...anyone.

I have been appointed by President Coleman to serve on the committee "Residential Life and Learning: Building on Michigan Traditions Task Force". This is a long-winded way of saying that I'm on a task force that is going to come up with recommendations about both the new dorm that is going to be built and the renovation of Mosher-Jordan and Stockwell.

What does this have to do with you?

I am going to be at a retreat all day Sunday. (Doesn't that sound like fun?) We're going to be talking about what's needed for the new dorms. It seems to me that I should know something about the current dorms. But I don't. I don't know anything about them. I haven't been in a dorm since 1984 when I was an undergrad. If you can't do the math, just believe me when I say that it's been a while.

This is where you come in. I'd like a student to give me a tour of one of these residence halls, preferably MoJo or Stockwell --- but it can be any one of the larger ones. Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to an hour. I'm available all day on Friday. I would really appreciate anyone who steps up to the plate on this one.

Don't feel you have to show me your dorm room. (I know that I would have had issues with a professor seeing my dorm when I was in college.) I'd just like to have a student show me around sometime tomorrow (Friday, that is, Oct 8, 2004), preferably before 4pm or so.

If you can help me, please respond to this email. I'll post a message on http://rossbba.blogspot.com once I've scheduled something. Thanks in advance for helping me out.


So, here I sit in my office at 11pm on Thursday night, reading my materials in preparation for the retreat. I send out this request, and within about 5 minutes I get three responses. I don't know whether to think that's really cool (which it definitely is because you're helping out a professor in need) or that it's a sign that some students are studying a lot (which it most definitely is). So, I guess I'll just go with "What is both?, Alex."

No comments: