Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Productive Wednesday meetings

I have now had three Wednesday afternoon meetings with students over the past three weeks. (Funny how that works out...) Though I have invited 20 students to each, I have had no more than 5 students show up for any one meeting. That's too bad, as far as I'm concerned anyway, because we have had some very good conversations. (Hmmmm. Maybe it's because so few students have shown up that we've had good conversations? No. Cancel that! I want everyone to come!) More importantly, I know that I have learned a lot about the program. I think I can also state that students have either learned something or feel that they have been heard (that is, they had some gripes to share and they shared them).

As a result of these meetings, at least one (what I would call) significant change is in the process of being addressed. The fact that the LHC305 final was scheduled for December 23rd was brought to my attention during one of the meetings. We're working on this, and we hope to have an announcement soon.

A less significant, though still positive change, also occurred because of an off-hand comment in one of these meetings. "Boy, I hope our section doesn't have a bunch of 8:30am classes again next semester." Uhhh, I didn't know you did. I made a note to myself, checked with Student Services, and ... make it so! We have verified that there has been a relative balancing of 8:30am classes across sections. Seems only fair.

Other students have been able to discuss (with me and with other BBA1s and BBA2s) concerns about professors, worries about presentations and interviews, and other general issues related to school. Where possible, I have helped the student resolve an issue or just facilitated a discussion among the first- and second-year students that generally address their worries.

This position of BBA Program Director is relatively new, and I am new in this position. As such, the position is not well defined. Further, given the structure of the school, my organizational power is rather limited. I have to rely on my power of persuasion and general all 'round good looks to get things done. (Hmmm.) Since I have a limited supply of each, I need input from you to help me figure out what problems to focus on. These meetings are one way that you can have an effect on my priorities, the BBA Program, and the Ross School.

I hope to see more of you at these meetings.

No comments: