Monday, September 27, 2004

Appropriate and worthwhile extra-curricular activites

I am in a position in which I hear a lot about the extra-curricular activities of students. Let's see...

  • I read about their activities on their applications to the business school.
  • I hear about them when talking to them in my role as advisor.
  • I used to read applications for jobs when I worked in the real world.
  • I read applications for positions that I hire for in my current job.
  • I read resumes of current students.
Given all of this, I consider myself something of an expert on the "formal" extra-curricular activities of college students. In my position as BBA Program Director, students ask my advice about what extra-curricular activities are most worth their time. This is certainly a fair question given all the demands on a student's time.

Joining lots of clubs to make it look like you're active doesn't fool anybody. What looks impressive is to do something in which you have to have a plan and carry it out, preferably over a long-term period. Activities like the UM Solar Car Team are at the top of the list, especially if you are a manager or coordinator of some type. A real job, even if it's part time, that you've held for years is also good, especially if you've earned some promotions over that time. Having a series of positions in a fraternity or club is okay, but it is more impressive if you've coordinated events that have goals and you've worked over time to meet them. Being an officer of some club isn't all that impressive, but if you specify that you put on some event like the BBA Games that required coordination and communication with many other contributors, then it becomes much more impressive.

In addition to building a resume, another (even better) reason for participating in extra-curricular activities is because you want to. Wow. What a concept. This leads you to build a network of friends who have the same interest as you which, in turn, leads to the possibility of life-long friendship. Which is one of the real reasons that college life is such a really great thing.

No comments: